It’s summer. It’s hot. I don’t want to heat up the house with cooking, but I can only eat salads and sandwiches so many days a week. So I turn to my crock pot. With minimal heat, I can make a hearty dinner for the family. This recipe can be made in any slow cooker, but it is even easier with the Ninja Cooking System. I can do everything in this pot! It’s a master multitasker!
Anyway, it’s summer, and veggies are showing up all over the Farmer’s Market. Especially soup veggies like carrots and celery. I also had a box of Alphabet noodles sitting in my cupboard. There was some sort of sale and I bought it, thinking, “Binnybeans will just loooove eating letters!” And then it sat and sat and sat. I had to use it up. Hence, alphabet soup!
Crock Pot Chicken Alphabet Soup
A hearty, flavorful soup made easily in the crock pot.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp oregano, dried or 1 tsp oregano, fresh
- 2-3 carrots, depending on size
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 box (16 oz box) of Alphabet Noodles
- NINJA COOKER: set to STOVETOP MEDIUM. Saute butter, onion, garlic, and oregano until onion is translucent. STANDARD CROCK POT: In a separate pot, saute butter, onion, garlic, and oregano over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add to crock pot when done.
- Add remaining ingredients except Alphabet Noodles to crock pot. Stir before adding chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on HIGH. It will look very thin, but the extra stock is necessary for cooking the noodles later.
- Remove chicken breasts from crock pot and set aside to cool. Add alphabet noodles to crock pot and stir. Shred chicken breasts with two forks and return to crock pot.
- Cook for additional 20-30 minutes, depending on size of the alphabet noodles. Check noodles for doneness after about 15 minutes.
The link to the Ninja Cooking System is an affiliate link. By purchasing through that link, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.